what it's all about

My photo
Charlotte, NC, United States
I am on a journey -like you, I'm sure. A personal journey, a spiritual journey. A journey about passions, growth, and living. I don't have a good memory, but I value my experiences. It's very strange when you realize that you are being shaped constantly, but ultimately only remember some of the reasons why you are the person you're becoming. I find that when things resonate within me, writing about them helps me to better develop my opinions about them, and to remember them. Sometimes, it's the simple act of looking back and reminding myself where I've been that is all I need to move forward with confidence. That's why I write. Thank you for joining me.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

meh.

My hair is doing absolutely nothing for me these days. You would think that after a year, it would more closely resemble a head of matured locs, but it just doesn't. I just have this frizzy, tangled mop. :( I reach back there, and can feel that there are lots more locs that are firming and tightening, but in the front, what I see is the same old thing that I've had since, I don't know, May or something. Come on, hair! Lock up! Please!?! I'm slightly discouraged and wondering if my hair will ever look like the beautiful heads I see everyday. I have loc envy like, whoa, right now. I could almost cry, if I'd let myself...

I did get a very nice complement form a man the other day, who told me he loved my hair. He told me he had long locs for 10 years and recently cut them off. He said it was a very emotional experience for him. I can only imagine, as I'm sitting here getting emotional over this mess on my head, now. That was encouraging, but today, 4 days later, I am feeling poopy about my hair again. And don't get me wrong, I don't think my hair looks bad- really, I don't. I just thought I would see more progress by now. This is a looooooooong process for me.

I also can't decide if I like my hair better when I let it do it's own thing, or when I twist it. I guess it doesn't really matter, as I can twist when the mood strikes, but it's kinda weird not knowing what look you prefer. I have something coming up that I am debating going to a loctician for, just to get everything nice and neat. But other times I get out of the shower and see my crazy hair and love it. I think I should probably go in anyway, as my husband pointed out I have loose hairs that aren't picking any locs to attach to. Another set of experienced hands and eyes should help with that. In fact, I might go make an appointment now. Just not sure if I want to schedule it for the event or not. Hmmm.

What do you think? Do you like my hair better when it looks more wild, or more refined?

3 comments:

  1. It's so normal to not feel your hair some days. This is the part where patience is a virtue. Your locs will arrive at the place you envisioned don't worry, as for going back and forth between the manicured look and letting them do their own thing. I say play it by ear, eventually you'll decide on what route you want to go or you might just sit comfortably in both worlds, that's what I do:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it when it's wild ;-) But your face suits both looks so... I'm sorry you're not feeling it right now.I hope the process speeds up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe backcomb a bit to help them along...

    ReplyDelete