what it's all about

My photo
Charlotte, NC, United States
I am on a journey -like you, I'm sure. A personal journey, a spiritual journey. A journey about passions, growth, and living. I don't have a good memory, but I value my experiences. It's very strange when you realize that you are being shaped constantly, but ultimately only remember some of the reasons why you are the person you're becoming. I find that when things resonate within me, writing about them helps me to better develop my opinions about them, and to remember them. Sometimes, it's the simple act of looking back and reminding myself where I've been that is all I need to move forward with confidence. That's why I write. Thank you for joining me.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

my hair is doing cool things!

Most importantly, it's locking!!! Yeah!
I am so excited. I had my hubs take some pictures of the back of my head for me, and was astonished at how much progress was going on back there! April said everything is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, which makes me very happy. :) She also said that my scalp was in great shape and to keep doing whatever it is that I'm doing- which isn't anything but occassional butter and my home made spray. But, as I write this, I can tell that my scalp is mad at me. I don't think I have any control over it. It's probably a conbination of the weather, the products I use, my stress levels, and who knows what else! I'm glad she thought it looked good, but am already embarrassed for how it will look at my next grooming. Here are some close ups of the hair (from after the salon visit):
On my last trip to the salon, instead of my normal groom (palm rolled), we tightened it up by latching. I didn't walk away looking quite as neat, in my opinion, but it still looked much better than when I walked into the shop! My husband thought it looked neater. I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

I'm not sure how I feel about the latching. It's kinda weird... My newest growth looks so small and tight! I wonder how long it will look this way. To be honest, I'm not really digging it. I think it shortens the amount of new growth that I see. It also looks much thinner than I like, and it's kinda, um... nubby looking. It's not smooth and sleek like when it's palm rolled. But, it will keep them tighter and knot them up more quickly, I guess. The good thing is that I won't have to do it very often. I trust April. She knows what she's doing. In the meantime, I will try not to dwell on it. Overall, I am really, REALLY pleased with what my hair is doing.



There were a couple twists that were just too small for my liking. I didn't like the way they looked, and was kinda worried that one day the dread would just pop off. So we are marrying them. April says that they are now officially "engaged." How cute is that? :) Basically, we threaded the tiny ones through their closest neighbors, and latched those together. Eventually, they will be married, (I which I don't think will take long,) and you'll never know that that lock was once two.

Anyway. That's my hair right now. Isn't this process cool? The twists haven't changed much. Some are loosening, and they are all getting frizzy.

A little Lock & Twist Gel has kept them looking neat, but I really don't mind the more unkempt look. But, as I clean them up a bit depending on where I am going (i.e. to work) and what I am doing. I am still loving the way they look, even after four months. Which is good, as I will be keeping them for a while.

I know that was a long update, but hey- it's been a while. I hope your year is off to a GREAT start. I know mine is! I am so blessed!

Peace & love!

2 comments:

  1. As a 'latcher' I also prefer the 'shape' of twisted locs, LOL Will she latch your growth from now on? I'm looking forward to watching the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Thandi, April will only be latching every few visits. I think it's a good idea, because I fear constant twisting will weaken the loc. But now I am seriously considering free forming. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete